LEGAL MALPRACTICE & PROFESSIONAL NEGLIGENCE
Legal Malpractice and Professional Liability Claims
At the law firm of Devereaux, Stokes, Fernandez & Leonard, our attorneys represent clients on negligence and tort claims that go well beyond personal injury or medical malpractice. We have also achieved excellent results for our clients in cases involving negligence, dishonesty or professional incompetence on the part of lawyers, insurance brokers, and members of other licensed professions and occupations. For a free consultation about your rights in a case of legal malpractice or other professional negligence, contact a lawyer at our office in St. Louis.
Experience. Integrity. Results. Call 314-433-9131 or toll free 866-285-4611
In professional liability litigation, the main challenge is to prove that you have suffered a loss due to the negligence or misconduct of a member of the given profession. Most established professionals carry malpractice or other liability insurance, which helps to assure that the losses of injured clients can be recovered. In lawsuits involving many professions, however, it is not only necessary to prove negligence and resulting losses, you also might need to show how the error or omission on the part of the defendant professional represented a failure to comply with recognized standards of practice or ethical conduct.
Proof of liability and damages can differ a great deal from one profession to another. For example, in a legal malpractice case involving dismissal of a personal injury claim due to your lawyer’s failure to meet a filing deadline, the plaintiff will often need to prove his or her entire personal injury case in the malpractice lawsuit, with the insurance company stepping into the shoes of the defendant.
The experience and skill with personal injury litigation that our law firm has developed over the last 30 years can help you salvage a case that your previous lawyer lost through neglect or incompetence. We also pursue claims for professional liability against such defendants as the following:
- Insurance brokers, agents or public claims adjusters
- Securities brokers or traders, usually in arbitration proceedings
- Medical professionals and health care providers of all kinds
- Pension administrators
- Police officers, sheriff’s deputies and licensed private security guards
- Nursing home administrators
- Clergy, marriage counselors, psychologists and other counselors
- Breach of fiduciary duty claims against trustees, guardians, conservators or others entrusted with the assets or personal welfare of another
For more information about your options in a case of legal malpractice or other professional misconduct in Missouri or southern Illinois, contact an AV-rated* trial attorney at Devereaux, Stokes, Fernandez & Leonard in St. Louis.
* CV, BV, and AV are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties, Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards, and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the Bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell Ratings evaluate two categories–legal ability and general ethical standards.