Uninsured and Underinsured Motorists


Missouri Underinsured Auto Accident Attorneys

Every state has mandatory minimum insurance requirements. In order to register a vehicle you must prove that you have purchased the statutorily required minimum amount of insurance on that vehicle in case you get into an accident. In Missouri the minimum required is $25,000 in liability coverage; in Illinois the minimum is $20,000. We all know that just because the law says you are supposed to have insurance it does not mean everyone actually does have adequate coverage. If you are hit by an uninsured driver or if an unidentified vehicle is responsible for your accident then you may be able to make an Uninsured Motorist (UM) claim under your own insurance policy. In other situations the other driver may actually have insurance but only the required minimum of $25,000. If your losses exceed their insurance limits you can collect all of their insurance and make a claim under your own policy for Under Insured Motorist coverage (UIM). An Uninsured and Underinsured motorist lawyer can help you.

If you have suffered losses in an accident, your uninsured/underinsured insurance (UM/UIM) is a powerful tool for obtaining compensation. Your UM/UIM policy can enable you to receive compensation when the other driver’s liability coverage is insufficient to cover your losses.

At Devereaux, Stokes, Fernandez & Leonard, we have extensive experience in car accident claims. We understand the complexities of insurance coverage issues, and how to obtain maximum compensation for our clients.

If you have suffered injuries in a car accident, do not rely on your insurance company to provide you with straightforward information about your rights regarding compensation. Only with an experienced attorney on your side will you be able to obtain the compensation you are entitled to.

Contact us today for a free consultation about a car accident claim.

The Insurance Research Council (IRC) estimates that 1 out of every 7 drivers in the U.S. is uninsured. Click here to read more about uninsured motorist coverage.

How Does Uninsured/Underinsured Insurance Work?

In Missouri, UM/UIM coverage is mandatory. When the other driver does not have insurance or your losses are greater than the driver’s policy limits, you can tap into your UM/UIM policy. Your UM/UIM insurance may be available to pay compensation in cases involving hit-and-run accidents, phantom vehicles, bicycle accidents and for passengers in a vehicle. Insurance coverage issues are complex however, and you will need an attorney on your side who has experience with UM/UIM claims.

Med-Pay Insurance

In addition to your UM/UIM insurance, Med-Pay insurance can pay compensation for medical expenses up to the policy limit for each person in your vehicle, regardless of fault. And if the negligent driver’s insurance company pays compensation, you do not have to repay the Med-Pay benefits you receive. You may be entitled to receive money under your Med-Pay insurance even if your bills were covered by your health insurance.

Maximizing Your Compensation

At our firm, we work on cases involving complex UM/UIM and other insurance issues every day. Our attorneys are highly knowledgeable regarding insurance claims, and they are skilled at identifying all possible sources of compensation. Depending on the circumstances of your case, these sources could include your own uninsured/underinsured coverage, stacking coverage, Med-Pay benefits, your health insurance coverage, the liability insurance of the other driver and others. We will seek maximum compensation for you.

Free Consultation With a Lawyer

Contact our firm for a free consultation with a St. Louis uninsured motorist lawyer.

Contact us for a free consultation